INDS 124 - Industrial Applied Geometry
2 Credit: (2 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 2 Contact Hours: [INDS 122 ]
This course in plane geometry covers propositions and axioms, definitions, circles, area, and angle formulas. Volumes from solid geometry are also covered.
OFFERED: spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Examine geometric concepts.
- Define axiom (postulate) and proposition (theorem).
- Define the basic terms of geometry.
- Illustrate axioms and propositions with drawings.
- Define parts of a line.
- Identify perpendicular lines and segments.
- Identify parallel lines and segments.
- State observations about given information and state conclusions.
Goal 2: Compare the properties of angles.
- Distinguish between types of angles (using measures).
- Determine the decimal equivalent of an angle measure.
- Convert an angle expressed as a decimal to degrees, minutes and seconds.
- Determine the measure of an included angle.
- Determine the measures for the complements and supplements of angles.
- Add, subtract and divide angle measures.
- Determine angle measures using vertical angles.
- Determine angle measures using parallel lines and transversals.
- Determine angle measures using exterior angles.
- Identify parts of a triangle.
- Apply the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Solve application problems about right triangles.
- Apply the projection of sides proposition.
- Identify properties of basic polygons.
- Determine the sum of the interior angles of any polygon.
- Determine equal angles using parallel and perpendicular sides of polygons.
- Determine the length of the arc intercepted by a given central angle.
- Determine the measure of a central angle of a circle.
- Determine the measures of inscribed angles.
- Determine the measure of angles formed by two tangents.
- Determine the measures of angles formed by two secants.
- Determine the measures of angles formed by secants and tangents.
- Bisect an angle.
- Construct the angle bisectors of a triangle.
- Construct a copy of an angle.
Goal 3: Examine geometric figures.
- Using tangent lines to solve problems.
- Identify similar figures.
- Solve problems involving similar figures.
- Solve problems about the angles and sides of quadrilaterals.
- Apply formulas to find lengths of sides of geometric figures.
- Identify the basic parts of a circle.
- Define basic terms used in circular measurement.
- Determine the perimeter of a plane figure.
- Determine the circumference of a circle.
- Determine the area of a rectangle or parallelogram.
- Determine the area of a square.
- Determine the area of a trapezoid.
- Determine the area of a triangle.
- Determine the area of a circle.
- Determine the lengths of segments formed by two chords intersecting inside the circle.
- Construct a circle with a given radius.
- Construct a regular hexagon.
- Determine its center given a circle or arc.
- Construct the altitudes of a triangle.
- Determine volumes of solids including rectangular solids, cylinders, cones, spheres.
- Convert between and among English and metric measurements.
Goal 4: Examine lines.
- Bisect a line segment.
- Construct a line perpendicular to a given line, through a point on the given line.
- Construct a line perpendicular to a given line, through a point not on the given line.
- Construct a line parallel to a given line through a point not on the given line.
- Construct parallel lines.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)