MGMT 237 - Concepts of Management
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [Reading Level 3 and Writing Level 3 ]
This course covers, in detail, the managerial process, including planning, organizing, leading and controlling. Other topics studied include the purposes of organizations and how they function, the business environment, human behavior, operations management and total quality management.
OFFERED: summer and fall semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Summarize the importance of managers acting ethically.
- Differentiate between social responsibility and ethics.
- Define whistleblower.
- Explain causes of unethical conduct.
- Determine steps for improving ethical behavior.
- Critique current environmental problems.
Goal 2: Analyze decision making techniques employed by managers.
- Explain the steps of the decision-making process.
- Match problem solving techniques with the allotted time available.
- Explain factors that influence decision making.
- Explain the iceberg principle.
Goal 3: Assess the importance of effective strategic planning for organizations.
- Explain reasons for planning.
- Define goals.
- Define objectives.
- Explain the elements of a plan.
- Explain forecasting.
- Explain environmental scanning.
Goal 4: Compare Total Quality Management tools used in operations management.
- Explain the control process.
- Explain a balanced scorecard.
- Explain total quality management.
- Explain benchmarking.
- Explain Kaizen.
Goal 5: Explain the importance of the manager employing good communication techniques.
- Compare verbal and nonverbal communication.
- Compare formal and informal communication.
- Diagram the communication model.
- Explain barriers to communication.
- Explain the role of technology in communication.
Goal 6: Analyze methods of effectively managing a company’s human resources.
- Explain the importance of employing a diverse workforce.
- Explain the role of the EEOC.
- Explain the role of OSHA.
- Explain affirmative action.
Goal 7: Analyze how culture influences values.
- Explain the importance of effective interviews.
- Explain the importance of training.
- Explain downsizing.
- Explain sexual harassment.
Goal 8: Compare methods of managing change within an organization.
- Compare forces for change.
- Define change agent.
- Explain the Lewin change model.
- Explain the force field analysis.
- Explain techniques for managing stress.
Goal 9: Analyze the challenges managers face when managing teams.
- Compare a team and a group.
- Explain the steps in creating teams.
- Explain synergy.
- Explain groupthink.
- Explain conformity.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)