This program is for students who desire an education to prepare for a career in early childhood education. A counselor should be consulted if the student plans to transfer to a four-year institution.
Students in this program will be required to provide proof of an iCHAT (criminal background check), Central Registry Clearance, and a current TB test. Observation requirements are subject to change based on State or employer demands and will be communicated in a timely manner.
Students with a criminal record should consult with the Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) to verify that they are eligible to work in this field. Students are encouraged to meet with an MCC counselor prior to starting this program for help with the verification process.
Upon completion of this program [CIP: 13.1210], graduates should be able to:
- demonstrate basic computer literacy.
- demonstrate understanding basic first aid/CPR.
- display knowledge of normative and non-normative child development patterns.
- articulate behavior management techniques.
- display knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum design.
- articulate administrative duties as related to child care programs.
- demonstrate knowledge of appropriate child literacy skills and resources.
- demonstrate knowledge of developmental processes relevant to early childhood.
Prerequisite courses may apply to this program.