This program prepares students who wish to specialize in medical transcription and medical office procedures for employment or advancement. A counselor should be consulted if the student plans to transfer to a four-year institution.
Students with a criminal record should consult with the State of Michigan to verify that they are eligible to work in this field. Students are encouraged to meet with an MCC counselor prior to starting this program for help with the verification process.
Upon completion of this program [CIP: 51.0716], graduates should be able to:
- apply basic accounting skills in preparing general ledgers, financial statements, basic payroll calculations, and cash management.
- display positive work-related skills and attributes that contribute to obtaining, retaining, or advancing the job.
- plan and compose acceptable business correspondence.
- use various input software and tools to create, edit, and format documents, spreadsheets, databases and presentations.
- accurately index, file, sort, and retrieve paper and electronic documents that pertain to businesses, governmental agencies, and social service organizations.
- employ appropriate office technology to effectively complete office-related.
- perform work duties in an ethical manner.
- demonstrate knowledge of governmental regulations related to medical industry.
- apply current office procedures in a medical setting.
Prerequisite courses may apply to this program.