ARTS 227 - Painting III
3 Credit: (1 lecture, 3 lab, 0 clinical) 4 Contact Hours: [ARTS 126 ]
This studio course emphasizes exploration of traditional or experimental painting techniques.
OFFERED: spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Apply advanced color schemes.
- Examine color relationships.
- Apply monochromatic color scheme to show value contrast.
- Apply tints and shades of one color in five values from dark to light.
- Apply complementary color scheme to show cool-warm contrast.
- Apply triadic color scheme to show contrast of naturalistic colors using the secondary colors (violet, orange, and green).
- Apply triadic color scheme to show expressionistic contrast of colors, using the primary colors (red, yellow, and blue), with the neutrals (white and black), as a relief to the eye.
- Apply analogous color scheme to show closely related, very muted contrast of colors, using colors which are neighbors on the color wheel.
Goal 2: Create canvas paintings.
- Paint on a canvas board.
- Paint on stretched canvasses.
Goal 3: Demonstrate still-life techniques.
- Create a landscape.
- Demonstrate a repeating pattern.
- Create a portrait.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)