BUSN 141 - Employability Skills
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours:
This course is designed to help students recognize the important role personal qualities play in the work environment and to develop the success attitudes, interpersonal skills and values that are in demand by employers.
OFFERED: even-year spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Demonstrate skills used while preparing for work.
- Explore the meaning of work.
- Demonstrate looking for a job.
- Demonstrate applying for a job.
- Demonstrate interviewing for a job.
Goal 2: Demonstrate skills used while working.
- Explain the skills needed to begin a new job.
- Discuss the expectations of employers.
- Analyze why appearance on the job is important.
- Explain worker rights and protections.
- Discuss human relations and cultural diversity at work.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service.
- Discuss earnings and job advancement.
- Demonstrate workplace communication skills.
- Demonstrate time management.
- Demonstrate organizational skills.
- Demonstrate self-assessment skills.
- Demonstrate self-management skills.
Goal 3: Explain behaviors that lead to long-term employability.
- Discuss personal responsibility.
- Demonstrate personal goal setting.
- Discuss the importance of self esteem.
- Demonstrate social skills.
- Explain the importance of ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate workplace safety skills.
- Demonstrate teamwork skills.
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Demonstrate negotiation and consensus building.
- Demonstrate computer and technology skills.
- Discuss math and measurement skills needed in various professions.
- Explain entrepreneurial skills.
Goal 4: Demonstrate career planning skills.
- Compare jobs and careers.
- Explain career decision making.
- Analyze individual career requirements.
- Explore career information.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)