BUSN 183 - Business & Technical Communication
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [Reading Level 3 and Writing Level 3 ]
This course focuses on developing effective communication skills for the workplace. Emphasis will be on developing skills in writing business letters, memos, reports, and electronic communication. Technical writing skills, including drafting instructions, creating effective graphics, and descriptive writing, will also be covered. Students will also demonstrate effective oral interpersonal and presentation skills.
OFFERED: fall and spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Effectively apply appropriate writing conventions when composing business and technical documents.
- Utilize correct grammatical structure when composing business and technical documents.
- Apply correct punctuation & mechanics when composing business and technical documents.
- Develop a clear and concise style for effective communication.
Goal 2: Plan, develop, compose, and format acceptable business documents for various situations, audiences, and purposes.
- Prepare effective business communication documents (memos, email, letters).
- Compose electronic communication (emails, blogs, web pages).
- Create proposals and reports.
- Develop visual elements for written communication.
- Create formal and informal reports.
- Compose instructions and definitions.
Goal 3: Employ appropriate speaking style when communicating in the workplace.
- Demonstrate oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication skills.
- Identify types of nonverbal communications.
- Demonstrate nonverbal communication.
- Exercise effective listening skills.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)