ATMN 260 - Advanced PLC
3 Credit: (1 lecture, 2 open-lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [Prerequisite: ELEC 254 or Pre- or co-requisite: ATMN 175 ]
This course will add additional depth to the Programmable Logic Controller programming developed in ATMN 160 , along with using the safety functions of a safety rated PLC. This course will also offer more in-depth knowledge with integrating an HMI into an automation work-cell. Integration of a PLC to control Variable Frequency Drives will also be covered. This course uses Allen Bradley Compact Logix PLC, Panelview Plus HMI’s, and Powerflex 525 VFD’s.
OFFERED: fall semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Explore PLC control of Safety systems.
- Characterize the safety issues involved with PLCs.
- Analyze the need for safe working practices.
- Explore the use of GuardLogix in PLC routines.
- Implement safety systems over a networked automation cell.
Goal 2: Implement PLC routines to control motor speed controllers.
- Investigate PLC control of motor speed controllers.
- investigate the technique of programing PLC routines to manipulate motor speed controllers.
- Compose PLC routines to integrate with FactoryTalk View.
- Studio programs to display on an HMI screen.
Goal 3: Compose PLC routines to integrate with FactoryTalk View Studio programs to display on an HMI screen.
- Design Human Machine interface programs.
- Produce Human Machine interface programs to transfer I/O data to the PLC.
- Integrate Automation equipment on an Ethernet/IP network to create a functioning automation work cell.
Goal 4: Integrate Automation equipment on an Ethernet/IP network to create a functioning automation work cell.
- Integrate Human Machine interface programs into an automation cell.
- Lay out an ethernet/ip network using the automation devices needed to create the automation cell.
- Integrate the automated safety systems into the automation cell.
- Integrate the automated motor speed controllers into the automation cell.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)