FREN 120 - Elementary French I
4 Credit: (4 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 4 Contact Hours:
This course includes fundamental training in basic language skills stressing oral and written expression, aural comprehension, and their cultural contexts. It is suggested for students with no French background or up to one year of high school French.
OFFERED: odd-year fall semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Demonstrate, in oral and/or written form, basic French vocabulary.
- recognize and use French greetings.
- use the French alphabet.
- use numbers (time, dates, months, seasons, years, etc).
- describe the weather.
- demonstrate the use of the four directions (north, south east and west).
Goal 2: Apply use of language and coherent French pronunciation by introducing themselves and others in French using basic terms.
- describe nationalities.
- describe family relationships.
- describe appearances/ages.
- describe personalities.
- describe professions/classes.
- describe leisure activities.
Goal 3: Demonstrate social interactions in French.
- illustrate giving and responding to compliments.
- explain where objects and places are located.
- express likes and dislikes.
- accept or refuse offers.
Goal 4: Demonstrate a basic understanding of French grammar.
- explain the concept of cognates.
- use accent marks.
- demonstrate proper verb use: conjugation, regular/irregular verbs, negation, inversion, the infinitive, the present indicative.
- demonstrate proper noun gender and number.
- use adjectives: proper placement and agreement, possessive.
- use articles.
- use subject pronouns.
- use prepositions.
Goal 5: Distinguish, at a basic level, cultural awareness in the language.
- identify francophone countries.
- describe francophone people and cultures.
- elaborate on the cultural aspects of gestures, manners, physical contact.
- use titles, “tu” and “vous” properly.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)