This certificate program prepares students for careers with state, county or city correctional agencies. It meets the Michigan Corrections Officer Training Council employment guidelines. Coursework is transferable to most colleges and universities offering degrees in corrections, and provides students with communications coursework necessary for today’s corrections environment.
Students with a criminal record should consult with the State of Michigan to verify that they are eligible to work in this field. Students are encouraged to meet with an MCC counselor prior to starting this program for help with the verification process.
Students interested in receiving an associate degree should see a counselor.
Upon completion of this program [CIP: 43.0102], students should be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of the criminal justice system.
- demonstrate understanding of legal issues.
- demonstrate understanding of clients and client relations within the criminal justice systems.
- demonstrate understanding of communication concepts used within the criminal justice system.
- demonstrate basic understanding of life-long fitness.