2018 - 2019 Catalog 
    Jul 13, 2024  
2018 - 2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services


Registration includes enrolling in courses and paying tuition and fees. Registration dates, times and options are outlined on the MCC website at www.montcalm.edu and the MCC student portal at my.montcalm.edu.

Academic Counseling/Advising

Licensed professional counselors and academic advisors are available to assist students. Course advisement, assessment and interpretation, special needs, tutoring, career exploration and career decision-making, personal counseling referrals and other counseling services are available. Appointments may be made by contacting the Student Success Center at (989) 328-1264.

General Information

Emergency procedures, class schedules, lost and found and other general college information topics are handled in Student Services, located in the Burns Administration building on MCC’s Sidney campus.

Placement Testing

This institution uses scores from standardized tests to determine course-level placement. ACCUPLACER, the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), and the American College Test (ACT) are the most common. For more information about placement and testing, please visit https://www.montcalm.edu/sub-header/student-life/resources/student-success-center/.

GED Testing

Information about scheduling the General Educational Development (GED) test is available by calling MCC’s Greenville Campus at (616) 754-7706.

Student Records

Grade reports are available to students at the end of each semester of enrollment, in the MyMontcalm web portal. This information is not available by telephone. Neither grade reports nor transcripts are released to students who have outstanding financial obligations to MCC, or who have defaulted on student loans. Grade reports and unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed through a secure link in MyMontcalm. If a student believes that the grade posted for a class is incorrect, he/she may pursue an Academic Appeal. The archived transcript shall be considered the student’s permanent academic record.

A signed, written request to Student Services is required to release a student’s academic transcript to a third party. The request must include the student’s name, including former names used while attending MCC, dates of attendance, student ID or last four digits of the social security number. No transcripts will be issued for students who have outstanding financial obligations to MCC or who have defaulted on student loans.

Unofficial copies of transcripts may be printed through MyMontcalm or sent to students at their address of record upon request.  Students who have moved must provide proof of identity and current address. Transcripts from other institutions, including high schools, cannot be released or copied.

Career Planning Services

Personal career counseling is available to students who are undecided about which college program or career to pursue. Career interest assessment and interpretation is available to assist with educational planning and decision making. Contact the Student Success Center at (989) 328-1264 for additional information. A credit course exploring career development is also available to students who are undecided (GNST 110 - Career Development ).

Tutoring Services

MCC offers free tutoring assistance to students experiencing academic difficulty. Assigned times and designated locations are provided for students to drop-in and receive academic assistance. Free tutoring assistance may be arranged through the Student Success Center  by calling 989-328-1264 or visiting the Center in room D318 in the Beatrice E. Doser Building on the Sidney campus.

Accessibility Services

MCC’s Accessibility Services assist students in overcoming barriers so that they can focus on their education.

Students with disabilities often face significant challenges. A reasonable academic accommodation ensures equal access and equal opportunity to participate in MCC’s courses, services, activities and facilities. MCC is not obligated to provide an accommodation that requires a substantial change in the curriculum or alteration of any essential elements or functions of a program.

MCC adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment (ADAAA) of 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability and require Montcalm Community College to make reasonable accommodations for those otherwise qualified individuals with a disability who request accommodations.

Establishing Eligibility for Accessibility Services

Accessibility services are available to all students with a disability who have been accepted at Montcalm Community College and have completed the COMPASS placement assessment. Students needing services should apply and register for classes early. To establish eligibility, the student must contact Accessibility Services by phone at 989-328-1264, or in person in room D318 on MCC’s Sidney campus. To be considered for Accessibility Services, students must:

  1. Complete and submit an Accessibility Services Intake Form;
  2. Submit appropriate documentation from a qualified professional describing the disability and how it impacts the student’s education as well as outlining suggested accommodations. If no documentation currently exists, the Medical Information Form may assist the professional providing documentation;
  3. Meet with the Student Success counselor to determine appropriate accommodations;
  4. Complete and sign an accommodation support agreement. They will be available in the Student Success Center, and the student will sign in acknowledgement of the accommodations at the time of pick up;  
  5. Accommodations can be adjusted upon student request.

Receiving Accommodations

Accommodations are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and re-evaluated every semester. To receive accommodations in a timely manner, students must meet with the Student Success counselor and register for classes early. To receive accommodations for the semester, the student must:

  1. Register for classes early.
  2. Meet with a counselor to determine services and accommodations.
  3. Provide faculty with outline of qualifying accommodations provided by the counselor. The outline of accommodations will not include details relating to the student’s disability or any other clinical information about the student.
  4. Meet with each individual faculty member to establish the accommodations for the class.