ARTS 125 - Painting I
3 Credit: (1 lecture, 3 lab, 0 clinical) 4 Contact Hours:
This studio course includes basic instruction in color mixing and the techniques of painting with oils or acrylics. Studio work is in the students’ chosen medium.
OFFERED: spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Apply principles of drawing and composition.
- Compare sizes.
- Compare shapes.
- Compare textures.
- Examine emphasis.
- Compare types of balance.
- Examine unity.
Goal 2: Create successful paintings.
- Apply different materials.
- Apply different tools.
- Apply different techniques.
Goal 3: Apply basic color theory.
- Examine primary colors.
- Examine secondary colors.
- Examine tertiary colors.
- Apply color harmony.
- Apply color context.
Goal 4: Apply the components of a simple still life.
- Apply lighting.
- Apply shapes.
- Apply shading.
- Apply detailing.
Goal 5: Examine artists.
- Compare artists’ thoughts and work.
- Match works of art to artists.
- Identify time periods of arts and artists.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)