ARTS 131 - Ceramics II
3 Credit: (1 lecture, 3 lab, 0 clinical) 4 Contact Hours: [ARTS 130 ]
This studio course places emphasis on further development of hand built and wheel thrown forms, and exploration of different decorating, glazing, and firing techniques.
OFFERED: fall semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Apply intermediate ceramic techniques.
- Create a pinch pot.
- Create coil construction.
- Create slab construction.
Goal 2: Examine clay bodies.
- Examine earthenware bodies.
- Examine stoneware bodies.
- Examine porcelain bodies.
- Examine casting bodies.
Goal 3: Examine glazes.
- Examine the chemistry of glazes.
- Compare glazes.
- Apply glazes.
Goal 4: Demonstrate intermediate techniques of rendering on the wheel.
- Create a cylinder.
- Create a cup.
- Create a bowl.
- Create a vase.
- Create a tureen with fitted lid.
- Create a teapot from wheel-thrown shapes.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)