CMIS 101 - Computer Literacy
3 Credit: (2 lecture, 1 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours:
This course is an introduction to computers as a basic tool. Emphasis is on basic concepts of information technology, understanding operating systems and file management, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, Internet research and e-mail. Current online course management software is introduced.
OFFERED: every semester
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Demonstrate basic use of windows based operating system.
- Manipulate files and folders using Create, Move, Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Delete.
- Open applications software.
- Manipulate windows using resize, move, minimize, maximize, and close.
Goal 2: Describe basic hardware components.
- Define components of the system unit.
- Differentiate between temporary and permanent storage devices.
- Categorize physical components by input, output, and storage.
Goal 3: Perform basic word processing functions.
- Navigate within the Word user interface.
- Enter text using word wrap.
- Apply the autocorrect function.
- Use document data to create labels and envelopes.
- Use the spell check function
- Manipulate document text using move and copy, insert and delete, search and replace
- Demonstrate basic text selection procedures
- Modify page layout including margins and line spacing
- Apply basic formatting including alignment, format styles, highlighting, font, and font size
Goal 4: Develop basic spreadsheets
- Enter basic text and numeric information
- Navigate within the Excel user interface.
- Incorporate basic functions into a spreadsheet design including Sum, Average, Max, Min, If, Date, PMT.
- Apply basic formatting to both text and numeric data.
- Incorporate headers and footers into finished reports.
- Create a basic chart.
Goal 5: Structure basic databases.
- Navigate within the Access user interface.
- Create Access tables using multiple data types.
- Modify an Access table.
- Complete a basic table join.
- Create a report.
- Design a basic select query.
- Input data.
Goal 6: Create basic electronic presentations with PowerPoint.
- Incorporate a title slide.
- Add new slides to a presentation.
- Insert bulleted text including multiple levels with demotion.
- Create speaker notes.
- Use various printing options including slides, handouts, speaker notes.
Goal 7: Apply basic concepts of online communications.
- Access the Web using browser software.
- Use search engine.
- Find geographic locations using mapping site.
- Use e-mail.
- Execute basic functions of course management system including the discussion board, file upload and download, and accessing the grade book.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)