CMIS 250 - Microcomputer Spreadsheets
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [CMIS 115 ]
This comprehensive course is designed to address intermediate- to advanced-level skills using Microsoft Excel. It uses a substantial amount of hands-on development and focuses on solving business-related problems.
OFFERED: spring semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Apply Excel in a Web environment.
- Create worksheets to be used in an XML file.
- Apply Web techniques to publish spreadsheets.
- Develop interactive and noninteractive spreadsheets.
Goal 2: Create customized charts.
- Change color options for chart objects.
- Apply clip art and pictures.
- Utilize rotation and explosion to better view graphical elements.
Goal 3: Incorporate the use of database techniques to evaluate data.
- Create data tables to be used as a database.
- Apply data filters.
- Create filters which filter the data directly.
- Create filters which extract the data to a separate location on the spreadsheet.
- Develop filters which incorporate compound conditions.
- Employ the use of pivot tables to cross-tabulate data.
- Chart pivot table data using a pivot chart.
Goal 4: Produce spreadsheets which access data outside of a single spreadsheet.
- Create consolidated spreadsheets which combine data from multiple spreadsheets.
- Develop workbooks which link data from other workbooks.
- Use hyperlinks to access web resources and data.
Goal 5: Apply spreadsheet auditing tools.
- Use tracing tools to evaluate formula dependents.
- Use tracing tools to track precedent cells.
Goal 6: Develop Visual Basic applications to automate spreadsheets.
- Create an automated macro using the record function.
- Develop a macro to automatically transfer data within a worksheet.
- Create a macro to protect and unprotect sections within a worksheet.
- Create a macro which is associated with a button placed on a worksheet.
Goal 7: Employ analysis methods to evaluate data for decision support.
- Create multiple scenarios using scenario management tools.
- Use solver to solve for complex data solutions.
- Determine cost-volume-profit analysis.
- Develop spreadsheets to determine break-even analysis.
- Create data tables using one and two input analysis.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)