COMM 210 - Speech
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [Reading Level 3 and Writing Level 3 ]
This introductory course in public speaking provides practice in speaking with interest and purpose before an audience. By presenting a series of brief talks before peers, students become familiar with the basic principles of speech organization, preparation and delivery.
OFFERED: every semester
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Demonstrate skills as public speakers.
- Present a series of speeches to peers.
- Critique self and others.
- Discuss personal strengths and weaknesses with the instructor.
Goal 2: Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of public speaking.
- Organize speeches with introductions, bodies, and conclusions.
- Explain principles of public speaking on examinations.
Goal 3: Develop positive interactions with audiences.
- Exchange information in question and answer sessions.
- Improve verbal communication skills.
Goal 4: Participate in small group discussions.
- Incorporate research in small group discussions.
- Take part in class discussions.
- Develop group project skills.
- Distinguish effective from ineffective group discussion behaviors.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)