ENGL 071 - Basic Writing
3 Credit: (3 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 3 Contact Hours: [Prerequisites: Reading Level 3 and Writing Level 2 ] [Pre- or co-requisite: GNST 100 ][Co-requisite: ENGL 100 ]
A co-requisite for ENGL100 for students at Writing Level 2, this accelerated learning course supports coursework in ENGL100 through supplemental instruction, collaborative learning activities, skill practice and peer review. A portfolio of products from both ENGL100 and ENGL071 is a required final assessment.
OFFERED: every semester
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Students will produce written texts for a variety of purposes.
- Practice writing in various rhetorical modes.
- Adapt stylistic choices to specific audiences and purposes.
- Synthesize personal knowledge and information from sources to adequately develop essays.
- Employ grammar, usage, and mechanics appropriate to the writing task.
Goal 2: Students will employ productive writing processes.
- Plan ideas and organization through prewriting strategies.
- Produce multiple drafts.
- Provide and accept feedback on writing.
- Improve writing through careful revision.
- Improve writing through careful proofreading and editing.
Goal 3: Students will employ effective information literacy skills.
- Gather research from print and digital sources using a variety of methods.
- Evaluate the relevance and utility of source material.
- Demonstrate an understanding of citation principles through use of MLA format.
Goal 4: Students will demonstrate an ability to read and respond to academic texts.
- Read works that encourage thought and expression.
- Use strategies for effective reading, such as annotating and questioning.
- Summarize the content of selected texts.
- Contribute knowledgably to discussions of texts.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)