CMIS 175 - Microcomputer Applications
4 Credit: (4 lecture, 0 lab, 0 clinical) 4 Contact Hours: [CMIS 115 or (CMIS 159 , CMIS 256 , CMIS 257 , and CMIS 258 )]
This continuation of CMIS 115 further develops word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software techniques using Microsoft Office. Intermediate skills using these applications are developed through applied projects within a business context.
OFFERED: fall semesters
Course Goals/ Objectives/ Competencies:
Goal 1: Demonstrate comprehensive document development and editing skills using Microsoft Word.
- Modify graphical elements using layering, grouping, and watermark techniques.
- Create documents which include data elements such as tables and charts.
- Apply formatting techniques (character and paragraph) to enhance document appearance.
- Develop a professional newsletter.
- Apply multiple column techniques.
- Utilize multiple sections.
- Create graphics using the SmartArt function.
- Apply appropriate document breaks (section, page, column, continuous.)
Goal 2: Develop Microsoft Excel spreadsheets to solve financial and data-based problems.
- Develop spreadsheets using various financial functions (e. g. PMT, FV, PV).
- Implement data tables (one and two input) to display financial data
- Apply formatting techniques (e. g. borders, background colors, shading) to enhance spreadsheets
- Illustrate data using various chart types
- Use data mining methods to generate reports
- Create data lists/tables
- Apply filters
- Derive database statistics from d-functions (e. g. dcount, daverage, dsum)
- Develop spreadsheet templates
- Acquire data from other spreadsheets through the use of 3-D formulas.
- Consolidate data from multiple workbooks
- Incorporate the use of Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts
Goal 3: Create Microsoft Access databases to generate custom reports, forms, and tables.
- Create custom reports
- Develop summary reports with calculated controls
- Design reports where multiple tables are used
- Modify format characteristics to enhance appearance
- Develop custom forms
- Apply lookup controls linked to other tables
- Integrate data from multiple tables
- Rearrange controls
- Create calculated controls
- Design forms which include linked subforms
- Implement multiple table relations
- Incorporate rules for referential integrity
- Create pivot tables
Goal 4: Develop Microsoft PowerPoint presentations using templates and runtime presentation settings.
- Apply custom backgrounds to presentations
- Modify clipart using ungroup/group techniques
- Change the master slide to create unique slide designs
- Apply runtime presentation settings
- Slide timings
- Animation schemes
- Animated graphics
Goal 5: Integrate data between Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Paste the object on the Clipboard in the destination document
- Embed the object on the Clipboard in the destination document
- Link the object on the Clipboard to the destination document
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)